The Nordic countries and Norway, in particular, are famous for their majestic nature. Even the people living in cities are surrounded by it; with trees and parks on almost every corner. However, this doesn’t mean we’re able to enjoy it at all times. The weather up North is quite unstable, with abrupt periods of cold and rain, even in the middle of the summer, which means that we spend a lot of time indoors, all year long.
If you don’t have a garden, just go to your nearest green area, pick some straws, flowers and large leaves.
Editorial created by A New Type of Imprint
Photography by Andris Søndrol Visdal
Styling by Sabine Bolstad / Werkstatt Oslo
The Nordic people spend a lot of time and energy on their homes. We love to come together — to set the table, eat and gather with friends and family. So what better way is there, than to bring the nature to the table?
Together with Norwegian tableware designers Wik & Walsøe and interior architect Sabine Bolstad, we wanted to show you how nature can be an affordable, warm and delicate way to decorate your tables — any weather or season.
«I like to decorate with garden flowers. It creates a relaxing and down to earth environment. But use what you’ve got. If you don’t have a garden, just go to your nearest green area, pick some straws, flowers and large leaves. Be careful and respect the environment, make clean cuts and don’t take more than what you need,» says Sabine, founder and interior architect at Werkstatt.
Tips and tricks from Sabine:
- Balance is key. The tableware and the natural elements should compliment each other.
- Simple tableware and a white tablecloth gives more room for colors and experimentation.
- If you want a tall bouquet, it’s wise to place it at the end of the table.
- Use simple vases and let the natural elements stand out.
- Wildflowers, straws, ivy branches and large leaves creates a relaxing environment.
- Ivy intertwined with string lights is a very easy and super romantic way to use the whole room as part of the table setting.
- Don’t forget to decorate the actual plates, napkins, glasses and cutlery.
Wik & Walsøe products in this series: Fnugg, Alv, Dugg, Whitewood and Falla.